Starting at €35/person, 3 hours… A perfect start for your Barcelona stay!
Along the Modernism Route, we will trace the sinuous dream path that took Antoni Gaudí from his social concerns to a total absorption with the divine, until he finally became “the last great cathedral builder.”
“A great morning discovering the genius of Gaudí and Barcelona architecture.”
* Listed as one of the world’s top five architecture tours by The Sydney Morning Herald.
* Walking tour led by practicing architects.
Our aim is to delve into the architectural essence of the Master and dig deep into his visual power, which is what made him an inspiration for the Surrealists and has earned him the honor of being the Best-Known Spanish Architect.
Our discussion will focus on a set of turning points that include a project in early 20th-century Manhattan, the last commission from his patron, Eusebi Güell, and his first architectural steps with the Sagrada Família.
We will talk about eclecticism and the end of modernism, the Crypt of Colony Güell and the Sagrada Família, utopian socialism, positivist materialism, the intellectual bourgeoisie, the Spanish Civil War, anarchism, beatification and deliquescent surfaces.
We will see the Antoni Tàpies Foundation and Casa Lleó Morera by Domènech i Montaner, Casa Amatller by Puig i Cadafalch, some hidden Eixample courtyards and, of course, Casa Calvet, Casa Batlló and Casa Milà by Antoni Gaudí. We don’t go inside the buildings.
* With every BARCELONA & GAUDI booking you win a 10% discount voucher to be use in any other Walking Tour!*
– Meeting Point at the sculpture “Monument al llibre” (Big Red Book) by Joan Brossa at the intersection of Passeig de Gràcia and Gran Via, in front of the Comedia Cinema.
– We offer Regular Tours every Tuesday, Friday and Sunday starting at 10:30 am and finishing at 1:30 pm. Booking in advance is required to attend to these Walks.
– The walk is for a small group of travelers. However, if you prefer a 100% private tour, please book it through BOOK NOW!
– Maximum 20 people per Group tours.
– Kids under 12 can come along for free.
– The entire walk is wheelchair accessible.
– Languages: English (French, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish are available in Private tours).
– Whatever happens, the walk will not be canceled, even if it’s raining or snowing! The weather in Barcelona is usually very nice, but we recommend you bring along suitable protective gear in case we have some inclement weather during the walk.